a journal of original drawings and screen prints of animals


Pages

Friday, March 08, 2013

What am I learning Today?

image from metropostcard.com

One of the books I'm currently reading is "How to Identify Prints: a complete guide to manual and mechanical processes from woodcut to inkjet" by Bamber Gascoigne. I have always been intrigued by the various lines used to create tonal value. It's what I've been trying to emulate in some of my drawings and prints. Wood engravings have always been a lure for me. I love the quality of line. Thomas Bewick's work is so incredible for it's detail alone, let alone the textures and tonal values he was able to achieve. But now I'm learning about photoxylographs, mezzotints, photogravures, etc.
I'm sure all of this can be found on the internet too. But I far prefer reading a book in a comfy chair.

image from artlex
 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Barbara,
    I love that eye! Can't wait to see your raven, I use that image a lot. I definitely feel a bond with them!
    Have a good weekend,Lynn

    ReplyDelete