a journal of original drawings and screen prints of animals


Pages

Monday, July 14, 2014

My Grandpa's Cottage


Do you like windows? Odd question, perhaps. But I find windows lend  character/personality to a building. These windows are probably from the late '20's or '30's. They remind me of my grandpa's cottage which was built in that time period.

For a while now I have been remembering my grandpa's cottage. The weather lately has not been typical of Toronto. We have not had the relentless blistering humidity that plagues this area. No, instead we have been enjoying "cottage weather". A brilliant warm sun, clear blue skies and a soft but cool, refreshing breeze. The kind of weather that makes you feel lazy, just like at the cottage. Even when it rains, I am reminded of the sound of it dripping from the overhanging tree branches onto the roof and window sills. The windows would be open and there was the smell of the dampness and the "feel" of it in the air.

These windows are very similar to the windows at my grandpa's cottage. Unfortunately, I have no pictures of it, only the memories.

This is Bastille Day
Vive la France!
and a Happy Birthday
to J.

No comments:

Post a Comment